Sunday, 29 November 2009

Christmas Mincemeat

Here's my recipe for Christmas Mincemeat. You'd do best to make this about 2 weeks before Christmas, or earlier, as Mincemeat needs time to mature and get all funky.
I don't like the stuff myself, but I have done this recipe a couple of years in a row, and it's proved quite well liked with relatives and such.
This recipe makes bloody loads of Mincemeat, so make sure you've got a good few empty jars.

675g Cooking Apples
450g Seedless Raisins
450g Sultanas
450g Shredded Suet
450g Soft Brown Sugar
350g Currants
225g Candied Peel
50g Flaked Almonds
The Juice and Grated Zest of 1 Lemon
The Juice and Grated Zest of 1 Orange
5 tbsp Rum or Brandy (I use Dark Rum, as for some reason I have a big bottle of it in my cupboard)
1/2 tsp Ground Mixed Spice
1/4 tsp Ground Cinamon
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
Pinch Ground Nutmeg

Mix everything EXCEPT the booze together in a big bowl. Heat at about 180C in the oven for about 25 mins.
Leave to cool, then mix in the booze.
Cover and leave to stand for at least 2-3 days, then scoop into jars and leave to mature for about 2 weeks.

So there you go, make that and leave it to get funky.
I'll be posting a recipe for mince pies in about two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment